I am trying to prepare a talk on Ephesians and as part of my preparation/exegesis, I was attempting a grammatical diagram of Ephesians 6:10-6:20 using the UBS5 text. I am doing this in order to understand the argument of the author and am focussed on tracing the argument using subjects, verbs and objects used.
Two verbs that form a part of the core argument are:
- The present imperative of στῆτε (v14) - Ephesians 6:14 (UBS5): “…στῆτε οὖν περιζωσάμενοι…”;
- The present imperative of δέξασθε (v17) - Ephesians 6:17 (UBS5): “…καὶ τὴν περικεφαλαίαν τοῦ σωτηρίου δέξασθε καὶ…”; or
I am trying to understand the to which, both, or something else the ‘qualifying’ the following participles relate:
- προσευχόμενοι (v18) - Ephesians 6:18 (UBS5): “…διὰ πάσης προσευχῆς καὶ δεήσεως προσευχόμενοι…”
- ἀγρυπνοῦντες (v18) - Ephesians 6:18 (UBS5): “…καὶ εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ…”; and
- [προσευχόμενοι] (v19 - Ephesians 6:19 (UBS5): “…καὶ ὑπὲρ ἐμοῦ, ἵνα μοι…” implied in “…καὶ ὑπὲρ ἐμοῦ…”)
Any ideas which is it and on what basis?
Thanks a lot for any pointers.