I’m having a hard time distinguishing this from the text. It’s clear that Amasa’s parents are Jithra and Abigail. It gets confusing to me after that.
“And Absalom made Amasa captain of the army instead of Joab. This Amasa was the son of a man whose name was Jithra, an Israelite, who had gone in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister of Zeruiah, Joab’s mother.” 2 Samuel 17:25 NKJV (https://www.blueletterbible.org/nkjv/2sa/17/1/)
- Is Nahash the father or mother of Abigail?
- Is Nahash the “sister of Zeruiah” or is this referring to Abigail?
- Who is Joab’s mother?
- I’ve seen other posts that these questions may be difficult to answer, I’m less seeking to harmonize and more trying to understand if it’s possible to determine from the language alone. Are Amasa and Joab 1st or 2nd cousins?
I can see how this could be either:
- listing all the things Abigail is.
Abigail is the daughter of Nahash. She is the sister of Zeruiah. She is Joab’s mother.
- splitting from each statement to define the previous person. Abigail is the daughter of Nahash. Nahash is the sister of Zeruiah. Zeruiah is Joab’s mother