Is there any other God greater than the one true God of Jesus Christ whom he said is greater than all, including Jesus Christ, John 10:29 and John 14:28?
In the Bible, the greatest teaching is expressed in the Shema:
שְׁמַ֖ע יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵ֖ינוּ יְהוָ֥ה ׀ אֶחָֽד
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
This is repeated in numerous other places:
- Deut 4:35, You were shown these things so that you would know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides Him.
- Isa 44:6, "This is what the LORD says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."
- Isa 45:5, 6, “I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun, That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no other.
- 1 Cor 8:4, There is no God but one.
- 1 Tim 1:17, Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.
Let there be no doubt that the Bible is stridently monotheistic; no ifs, no buts about it.
This one God is the God we must know to the extent that we can know Him. In the Old Testament, God is referred to in many places as more than one person such as:
- Zech 2:6-12 – the LORD (= YHWH) claims three times that He has been sent by the LORD.
- Isa 48:11-16 – again, the LORD has been sent by the LORD.
- Isa 63:7-10 – the LORD (described as a Father) sends His divine servant (the angel of His presence) and His Holy Spirit who is grieved (compare Ps 78:40).
- Ex 23:20 – the angel of the LORD’s presence has the power to forgive sin (but will not). This and the previous reference clearly make the angel of the presence is the pre-incarnate Jesus.
- Hos 1:7 – the LORD saves by the LORD their God.
- Prov 30:1-4 – the Son of God is as unfathomable as God Himself.
- Psalm 110 – “The LORD says to my Lord” – Jesus asked about this Psalm on how someone could be both Son and Lord of David – see Matt 22:44, Mark 12:36, Luke 20:42, Acts 2:34.
- Ps 45 (quoted by Heb 1) talks about the “Son” being God in addition to God the Father (v6-8).
Thus, there is but one God. Note that God is Love (1 John 4:8, 16) and because God is eternal, God has always been love. Note this carefully: A single person cannot be ἀγάπη (agapē) love because this is primarily outwardly focused. For God to be ἀγάπη (agapē) love, God must be a mutuality of more than one person, else this statement has no meaning.
The NT clearly portrays this one God as a mutuality of three people Matt 3:16, 17, 12:28, 28:19, Mark 1:10,11, Luke 3:21, 22, John 1:32, 14:26, 15:26-16:14, Acts 2:33, 10:38, Rom 1:2-4, 8:9, 15:30, 1 Cor 6:11, 12:2-6, 2 Cor 13:14, Gal 3:11-14, 4:6, Eph 1:17, 2:18, 22, Titus 3:6, Heb 9:14, 10:29, 1 Peter 1:2, 3, 3:18, 4:14, Jude 20, 21.
There is no other God, but the one true God, and that one true God consists of three persons.