Indeed, being “fearful” in this context is tied to faith…..not showing faith outwardly that is. God gives us each a measure of faith and it is up to us to manifest that faith through good works...such as love, patience, gentleness, joy, etc,
Faith is made manifest by our good works towards the hearing of the Lord’s voice as He opens up the Scriptures to our understanding. His words are the “true and faithful” words and those who hear and believe (true believing= faith is manifest outwardly) are written (“write”) in the book of life. We seal that God is true by the hearing and believing (where faith is active) of the testimony of Jesus.
Revelation 21:5-8 KJV (5) And he that sat upon the throne said,
Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these
words are true and faithful. (6) And he said unto me, It is done. I
am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him
that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. (7) He
that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and
he shall be my son.
But the “fearful”….those who are afraid to show their faith outwardly….are cast out.
(8) But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and
murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all
liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and
brimstone: which is the second death.
Case in point, many leaders believed on Jesus but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him for fear of being put out of the synagogue. Faith without good works is dead…and in this case, there was no outward confession of their faith in Him because of their fear.
They did abide in darkness as they did not manifest the light of their faith with good works for all to see.
John 12:41-46 KJV (41) These things said Esaias, when he saw his
glory, and spake of him. (42) Nevertheless among the chief rulers
also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not
confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: (43) For
they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. (44) Jesus
cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on
him that sent me. (45) And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
(46) I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me
should not abide in darkness.
They did not confess the Son of man before men and were kept out because of fear. They were denied.
Luke 12:7-9 KJV (7*) But even the very hairs of your head are all
numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.
(8) Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him
shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: (9) But
he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of
What profit is there if a man says he has faith but does not manifest that faith by his works? Faith alone cannot save him. Good works completes our faith. Faith alone is dead.
James 2:14 KJV (14) What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man
say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
This is highlighted in the parable of the talents. We are all given a measure of faith by the Lord and we are to PROFIT with our faith in an outward showing of that faith with good works. Each one was profitable with the amount of faith he was given except for the man given one talent.
The guy with the one talent did nothing except hide his talent in the earth. He hid his faith and was cast into outer darkness as a result where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Faith alone does not save a person.
Matthew 25:24-30 KJV
(24) Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
(25) And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
(26) His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
(27) Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
(28) Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
(29) For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
What PROFIT is there in having faith without good works? This is why the Lord labeled him an “unprofitable servant”. Faith alone does not save as we must manifest outwardly our God-given measure of faith.
(30) And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there
shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Some will not manifest their faith in what they hear (the Word of God spoken in truth) because of the fear of “tribulation or persecution” by their fellow churchgoers and will be quickly tripped up by it. They fear and shrink back unto destruction.
Matthew 13:20-21 KJV (20) But he that received the seed into stony
places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy
receiveth it; (21) Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a
while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the
word, by and by he is offended.