[2Ch 33:4 NLT] (4) He built pagan altars in the Temple of the LORD, the place where the LORD had said, "My name will remain in Jerusalem forever."
WLC וּבָנָ֥ה מִזְבְּחֹ֖ות בְּבֵ֣ית יְהוָ֑ה אֲשֶׁר֙ אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֔ה בִּירוּשָׁלִַ֥ם יִֽהְיֶה־שְּׁמִ֖י לְעֹולָֽם׃
Rahlfs καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν θυσιαστήρια ἐν οἴκῳ κυρίου οὗ εἶπεν κύριος ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἔσται τὸ ὄνομά μου εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα
Jerusalem was not the only thing to bear the name of YHWH. Certainly, Jehovah makes a fuss about His name in places like Jer 16:21, Isa 42:8, etc. But the way the OT uses this idea reveals that the Name of God was much more about character than the actual name.
- the Jews forget God's name by engaging in Baal worship Jer 23:27
- God's name was to be honoured among the nations, that is His character Mal 1:11
- The Temple in Jerusalem was bear the Name of God 1 Kings 5:5, 2 Chron 7:16, Jer 34:15, 7:30 - a place where God's goodness and righteousness was revealed
- God wants to teach the Jews about His power and might - then they will know His Name Jer 16:21
- God's character as revealed in His righteousness and healing Mal 4:2
- Ex 34:5-7 The LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he called upon the name of the LORD. Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity …
- Shiloh was the first place where God's Name was shown Jer 7:12
- Jerusalem was the place where God's Name was to have been known - where righteous kings should have ruled forever 2 Chron 6:6
- The Israelites were the people who knew God's Name and should have behaved like it but did not Isa 52:6
- The Israelites were supposed to be called by the Name of God and thus reflect the character of God 2 Chron 7:14 - see also Jer 7:30, Dan 9:19, etc.
Thus, Jerusalem should have had the Name of God in it forever, but the people were wicked and abandoned God and the rest is history.