Eze 20:38 And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
So it's best we start in Ezekiel 20:33-38
- He declares His rule over Israel.
- He gathers Israel from foreign countries into the wilderness.
- He pleads with them face to face.
- Causes them to pass under the rod moving into the bond of the covenant
- He purges those rebels from among them, they don't enter Israel.
So, He draws scattered Israel from foreign countries to the wilderness, He pleads with them and measures them, those who move from the measuring of the rod into the covenant go into the country Israel, however those who do not, although they were drawn from foreign countries are then rejected under the rod in the wilderness and do not enter Israel. These purged rebellious, transgressors are then left effectively as men without a country.
For more on 'pleading with them face to face' see Jeremiah 2:8-9 and Jeremiah 2:35.