1. Question - a Reference Request for Historical Evidence:
In view of this question : Luke 23:54 - How should "Sabbath Dawning" be Interpreted?
Is there any historical evidence showing Sabbath observance beginning the evening before? (Up to, and including, the Second Temple Period.)
- This is not about the regular week day, or the Day of Atonement - just the Weekly Sabbath.
- A Reference Request - Josephus, Philo, Plutarch, Polybius, etc. No Traditional or Doctrinal opinions please: Another related Question specifically asks to address this from a Jewish doctrinal point of view, https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/69630/how-to-reconcile-if-when-the-jewish-day-was-to-begin-at-sunset .
This question is intended to help inform, with evidence, the debate whether the prior evening was included in the Weekly Sabbath / Shabbat.
- Luke 23:54 - Historical Evidence that the Jewish Calendar Day began at Sunrise?
- Historical Evidence that the Jewish Calendar Day Began at Sunset?
- Luke 23:54 - How should "Sabbath Dawning" be Interpreted?