Joel 3:2 (ASV)
2 I will gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat; and I will execute judgment upon them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations: and they have parted my land,
Matthew 25:31-32 (ASV)
31 But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit on the throne of his glory: 32 and before him shall be gathered all the nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats;
Revelation 20:12 (ASV)
12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne; and books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of the things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Are these judgements in Joel 3:2, Matthew 25:31-32, and Revelation 20:12 distinct events or referring to the same event? Some similarities between them are:
- All prophecies at the time given (so point to some future event)
- Event related to end times (Mt and Rev especially, Joel maybe)
- Judging from a throne (Mt, Rev)
- A gathering of peoples ("nations" Mt, Joel; the "dead" Rev, which one might reasonably assume refers to a group coming from all nations)
- A judgment of works ("my people ... they have scattered ... parted my land" Joel; "according to their works" Rev)
Various arguments either for or against (or both) identifying two or all three passages as being the same event or not are appreciated.