The philosophical basis that grounds the work of translators. Questions about specific translation problems should instead be tagged hebrew, aramaic, or greek as appropriate.
Questions that relate to the work of a translator or that compare various translation choices should be tagged translation-philosophy.
Good translation-philosophy questions include:
- What distinguishes an excellent concordance?
- What is morphological analysis, as it relates to Bible study?
- Is NWT's translation of John 8:58 reasonable?
- How did Biblical translators decide on cypress for the type of wood in Noah's ark?
Questions that examine the meaning of specific words or grammar in the original languages should be tagged with with the source language instead:
- Is “wait” in Isaiah 40:31 active or passive?
- Why is “raah” usually translated differently in Amos 3:6 and 9:4?
- What word best captures the spirit of לִּילִית in Isaiah 34:14?