2 Kings 4:38-41 (NIV)
.. One of them .. found a wild vine and picked ... its gourds ... he cut them up into the pot of stew... they cried out, “Man of God, there is death in the pot!” And they could not eat it. Elisha said, “Get some flour.” He put it into the pot ... And (then) there was nothing harmful in the pot.
- What exactly was this wild gourd?
- Would the soup really have caused death? Was this a strange figure of speech that means something else?
- Is there a modern-day explanation on why adding flour absolves it's apparent poisons? For example, a particular chemical/food reaction?
- Did putting flour in actually do anything? Or was it a "placebo effect" ?
- Or were the men merely being whiny, superstitious, picky eaters?