There are so many interesting questions regarding the account of Balaam in Numbers 22-24. But for now, let me focus on the one that is most puzzling to me: Why did the Lord seem to "waffle" in His responses to Balaam's query about whether or not to go with the messengers from Balak:
- 22:12 God said to Balaam, “Do not go with them." [But the next time Balaam asks, just a few verses later...]
- 22:20 God came to Balaam and said, “Since these men have come to summon you, go with them"
- 22:22 ...But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the LORD stood in the road to oppose him.
- 22:34 Balaam said... "if you are displeased, I will go back.”
- 22:35 The angel of the LORD said to Balaam, “Go with the men."
What do these apparent vacillations of divine will indicate?